Monday, April 25, 2011

The Truth about Teeth

Here's the best argument against Intelligent Design I know: teeth.

Seriously. If I were in charge of the universe, I would NOT have given humans just two sets of teeth. What the heck is the point of losing baby teeth at six, when they're hardly even broken in, and then letting mankind muddle through with just one more set of teeth for up to NINETY years? Do we need them any less than sharks?

Roald Dahl had all his teeth removed at 21, opining that they were more trouble than they're worth, and was a loud and frequent champion of that decision for the rest of his days.

I often think the man had a very valid point.

3 comments:

  1. You make a great point. Teeth are something of a disappointment and humans really should get at least one more set over the course of a lifetime. The fragility of teeth makes me wonder if man was really supposed to live as long as we do. A hundred years ago, the average life expectancy was literally half what it is today. Perhaps our teeth simply weren't designed to accommodate longer lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made this exact point to at least two people over the past couple of weeks! The whole idea that we're stuck with the teeth we acquire while in grade school is maddening. I didn't know that little morsel of information about Roald Dahl. Now that I do, I have even more admiration for the man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teeth and car repairs. Every time I think I might sock a little money away... teeth and car repairs. At least with the car, you can trade it in.

    ReplyDelete

If you could go back in time, you'd

Biscuit Davis

Biscuit Davis